Header Image Header Image

In Brief


Find the Landkey Village Open Forum on:

Facebook logo

In Brief


Our next village event will be Lent Lunch on 21st February 2018 at 12:30 PM in The Old Manor, Landkey


Read the Parish Council Minutes of 3rd January 2018


Shop / Post Office:

Opening Times
From 1st January 2018


Read the latest
Landkey Newsletter
here

Recent Images Highslide JS

A picture of William Gould, in 1936 an octogenarian Landkey resident, who reminisced about his life in the village and church over a period stretching back as far as the late 19th century. A newspaper article written in 1936 is reproduced on the website (see News Blogs) and we are grateful to Eric Price for providing this clipping. Image courtesy of Eric Price 5th January 2018.
More Images

In Brief


Find the Landkey Village Open Forum on:

Facebook logo

In Brief


Our next village event will be Lent Lunch on 21st February 2018 at 12:30 PM in The Old Manor, Landkey


Read the Parish Council Minutes of 3rd January 2018


Shop / Post Office:

Opening Times
From 1st January 2018


Read the latest
Landkey Newsletter
here

Recent Images Highslide JS

A picture of William Gould, in 1936 an octogenarian Landkey resident, who reminisced about his life in the village and church over a period stretching back as far as the late 19th century. A newspaper article written in 1936 is reproduced on the website (see News Blogs) and we are grateful to Eric Price for providing this clipping. Image courtesy of Eric Price 5th January 2018.
More Images
×

Village Hall

History

Originally known as The Reading Room, the village hall was built in the early years of the 20th century. A Mr and Mrs E R Wigram of Mount Sandford (in Landkey Road) provided it for the benefit of the men of the men of the parish.

Highslide JS
Photographed probably in the early years of the 20th century, these men and boys are relaxing outside what is now the village hall, with Blakeshill Road visible in the background. At that time, the hall was a Reading Room for men only!

Mr Wigram ran the building as a men's club and the rules were strict: women, girls and boys under eighteen were not allowed and no one was to raise their voice! Apart from the Town Mills water-powered corn mill, the hall was the first building in the village to have its own electricity supply, produced from a small generator.

At the onset of the first World War in 1914, Mr and Mrs Wigram presented the hall to the parish and three trustees were appointed for its management: Mr W T Buckingham, Mr S Bouchier Wrey of Tawstock and Mr Wigram. At this time, a small shooting range was set up for target practice with air guns and billard tables were later added.

After the second World War it was felt that more use should be made of the building, so two public meetings were held and proposal to hand it over to the Charity Commisioners was carried and the Village Hall as we currently know it came into being.

Facilities at that time were basic: there was one earth closet outside and a very small room with a sink served as a kitchen. Later, an extension providing a kitchen and toilet was built, money for this being raised from interest-free loans and fundraising activities.

When a gas pipeline was laid to the village 1992, gas central heating was installed. In more recent years, Landkey Football Club used the hall as a dressing room until a purpose-built facility was constructed on the Green.